Archive for the 'Windows' Category

BackupExec CPS 2010 Snapshot Scheduling

A while ago, I set up BackupExec Continuous Protection Service 2010 (I’d get a direct link to CPS, but I can never find a product page for it). To give a short summation, it provides quicker backups to disk than Symantec’s BackupExec. If you’ve used Microsoft DPM, it’s somewhat similar. You can have schedules such as hourly restore points of servers, or even “continuous” protection, which pulls changes to files on a server as they happen. The important aspect of this software that is relevant to this article, is that CPS pulls files from the various remote servers onto local disk, and, in order to gain retention points, it uses shadow copies. These shadow copies are done with built-in Windows VSS, and are scheduled separately from the backups.

Now to the issue that I had to resolve, and could not find much help in searching online (even my question on ServerFault came up empty). After configuring these snapshots to run regularly, lets call it hourly, I noticed that they were never kicked off. I verified the schedule several times, but they never ran when they were supposed to. I was able to manually run the snapshots (through the CPS console), so it appeared as though the snapshot system was working, but scheduling was not. I dug in deeper, and found that CPS relied on creating Windows Scheduled Tasks to perform these. I looked in Scheduled Tasks, and I didn’t find anything.

I dug through the event log, and anything else I could think of, and I finally realized that I could not create my own scheduled tasks (I got an Access Denied error!). I looked at it from a Windows UAC angle (this was Server 2008 R2), but that didn’t seem to be it. I finally checked the permissions on the folder where tasks are stored (%windir%\Tasks), and here was where I found my problem. Write permissions were stripped from this folder. I later found out this was due to some preventative security measures . After restoring write access, CPS created the job successfully, and I was up and running.

“Networking is not installed or properly configured” Error

I came across a strange Windows XP networking issue today, and the magic of Google led me towards the right answer.  The computer could not connect to anything on the network, and I noticed that I was not able to join it to an Active Directory domain.  I saw an error message there that said “Networking is not installed or properly configured.”

I found this post describing the same issues I was experiencing:  Using this information, I discovered that I could just restart the “Server” service (and making sure it is set to automatic) fixed the issue.  I added this comment to the page on which I found a possible solution (which worked, but was a little more complicated), and others seem to have been able to solve this problem the same way as well.

It just goes to show how useful it is to post solutions to problems online when you don’t find the exact answer right away.